GrabCAD is a very good resource to share CAD models and is a bliss for engineers like us. Most of the CAD files we deal at AR-CAD are the assembly files which have some motion in them. Of late, we have been using a lot of their models in our work. In this tutorial we do the following:
- Import IC Engine (Slider Crank) CAD file (STEP format) inside SpaceClaim, which is a CAD neutral software.
- Rearrange SpaceClaim assembly slightly to make it more logical assembly.
- Define Assembly Conditions/Constraints between different Components (parts)
- Rotate the crank in SpaceClaim using Move command and see the movement of the mechanism. The piston goes up and down.
- Start SC-Motion and define rotation at the crank
- Perform Motion Simulation and see the animation.
We are grateful to Hardi Meybaum and Indrek Narusk who co-founded GrabCAD as an awesome platform for CAD Engineers/Designers